23 August, 2006

August 23, 1978

This morning I worked for Tinas father and I earned $2.50. We went out to lunch at the Plaza Linda, a Mexican restraunt in Carmel valley. Then we went swimming in Carmel valley. Luckily I took my watch off FIRST (see August 7). We also went material shopping and I got a Hollie Hobby doll kit. Bobby and I had some bubble gum. Tina and Mellissa came and we had ice cream cones. Then we said goodbye. We had steak for dinner. I saw 1/2 of ‘Willie Wonkas Chocolate Factory’. I am hungry.

I’m assuming it was the film that made me hungry as even with my food obsession that sounds like a fairly filling day! When the Johnny Depp film came out recently I thought I hadn’t seen the 1970s version but it seems I saw part of it.
This may well have been the last time (can’t remember exactly) we had a regular set of trips to the US as the following year I turned 12 and would have had to pay full fare – so I’m not sure I saw Tina or Melissa again. I remember having great fun with my American friends over the years but it is hard when you are that age to pick up a new friendship and leave them without any thought of seeing them again, after only a few weeks. I also remember my mother not being very encouraging of some friends – perhaps she didn’t think much of their mothers’ movie choices!

No comments: