20 February, 2006

February 20, 1978

No school – still half term. We w e n t to Bridget and Nicolas Roe’s in Oxford and train. The journey was as follows: To the station from our house via the car mechanics by car. To Oxford from the station via Banbury, by train. To the Roes house from Oxford station, via Fenwick’s for coffee and cakes, by bus. At the Roes we had lunch and made up and acted 2 plays. I got ‘The Chimneys of Green Knowe’ from the bookshop. Alex, Bridgets friend, came to play. We played schools. We took the train home. I couldn’t go to Guides.

The Green Knowe books are about children who, playing in an old house called Green Knowe, discover the toys that children in former years played with, hear stories about them, and then catch glimpses of the children who used to live there. Recently I found some of my old books, including one of the Green Knowe books, along with my diary. Reading the diary is like being in one of the Green Knowe books – I keep expecting to see my 11-year-old self round the corner.

No comments: