08 October, 2006

October 8, 1978

This morning after brekker and a bit of a read in the nearby woods I went blackberry picking with Irene and Selma. I picked a few and I stepped, ankle deep, into a very squelchy patch of ground, better known as a bog (no, not a loo). When I had dried my socks and shoes by the fire and some (‘all’ is not true) had had stew for lunch we struck the tent. I did the washing up, the gadgets were dismantled, and the dining shelter was taken down. After a cleanup + singsong we left. In the evening I saw Sefton Blake.

Gadgets, for those who have never been Guides or Scouts, are constructions that you use as sinks, draining boards, plate holders, wellie holders, and general helpful furniture around camp. We always used bamboo and rubber bands to make ours but apparently the official way was to use sticks and string.

No comments: